Linwood Township, Minnesota

Information about Linwood Township, MN businesses, history, demographics, popluation, and location.

City Website:  www.linwoodtownship.org/

Events: https://linwoodtownship.govoffice.com/linwoodevents

About

Linwood Township is located in the extreme Northeast corner of Anoka County. Presently Linwood is the last township in the county. This area became a township in 1871, and by 1880 there was a population of 227. As of April 1st, 2013 the current population is estimated at 5,223.

The Linwood area consists of flat and low land, with much of the acreage across the central and eastern area in the Carlos Avery Wildlife Refuge. Along with this land is a chain of lakes including, Linwood Lake (from which the town received the name), Island, Tamarack, Martin, Typo, Fawn, Pet, Mud, Ryan, Skunk, Boot and Rice Lake.

The first known settler in the area was Joseph Sausen in 1855, followed by Sanford Broadbent after the Civil War. Many of the new arrivals came from the land and wished to take up farming. In 1880 Linwood farmers produced: wheat, oats, corn, barley, rye, buckwheat, potatoes, sugar cane, hay, apples, tobacco, wool, dairy and honey. With so many new arrivals coming from the war there were close-knit ties made. These ties helped to form and support the Crescent Grange Hall #512 in 1874. The Grange was a national movement made to educate farmers on new and proper techniques and acted as a political movement. In 1881-82, after meeting in homes and churches, the Crescent Grange Hall constructed its own building. The building still stands today and was named to the National Register of Historical Places in 1979.